#Gigabitcity. Search for it on twitter. You’ll read some amazing things Kansas Citians are planning for Google Fiber. Google Fiber offers broadband service 100x faster than today’s broadband services.
What in the world can you do with Google Fiber?
Google Fiber isn’t about faster HD reruns of Sex and the City on Netflix or free internet. It’s about a community coming together to explore the outer bounds of what this technology can do for its citizens, its government, its schools and its businesses.
“Building the Gigabit City”, or #gigabitcity, was an event on Monday, October 3 put on by the Social Media Club of Kansas City in partnership with Brainzooming and the Kansas City Missouri Public Library. What was the goal? Get people from the community together. Run them through the ideation factory. And see what comes out the other end. Check out the videos at Fox 4 and KCTV-5.
Just in the middle of our brainzooming, I realized it was not really about what we came up with. It was about why and who? Let me explain by using the show Sex and the City.
Mike Brown from Brainzooming shared an interesting equation to kickoff the event and “why” we were there.
Creative Energy + Direct Experience + Functional Expertise = New Ideas
I’m not ashamed to say I paid attention during the 94 episodes of Sex and the City my wife watched. Why did I watch? It wasn’t what happened to Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda or Samantha. It was about the sum that resulted when people with energy, unique experiences and expertise got together. Mike Brown and Sex and the City were right. The what isn’t always the most important. Sometimes it’s why we connect and the who is involved that is more important.
So many people have asked me, “What kind of stuff did you come up with for Kansas City?” Here’s two of a few hundred concepts from #gigabitcity on how Google Fiber can provide a conduit for people with shared energy, experience and expertise.
A Community Continuum of Care
- Problem Statement: “I can’t get to the doctor’s office.” “I have 5 doctors and none of them are on the same page.” “The healthcare system is too complex.”
- Connection: Enable patients to connect with their primary physician directly at home and also network in other doctors for a community diagnosis through real-time monitoring of patient vitals and HD telepresence.
- Benefit: Improved healthcare, reduced patient costs, reduced cost overall to the healthcare system
A Social Running Experience
- Problem Statement: “I wish I could run with my friends when they aren’t here.” “I like running, but it’s hard without a support system.”
- Connection: Enable runners to connect with each other at home through an ipad docked to a treadmill. Allow selection of HD race course videos while running and integration with the treadmill to virtually race against friends and family. Enable individuals to earn points and health @klout based on behavior and social running.
- Benefit: Potential increase in community interest in exercise
Are you looking for your Mr. Big, or just the next big idea for Google Fiber and #Gigabitcity? Don’t focus on what you can do with the technology. Instead, look at the needs of why people connect everyday and focus on technology bringing the who together.
You Should Also Read …